[ale] Capturing kernel panics during boot

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jul 6 09:16:07 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler said:
> How so?  Can't you just assign a tty to XEN as its ttyS0?  Then simply
> add "console=ttyS0,9600" to the kernel params?

No. And I haven't found a good resource yet on how to get it exactly
working. The problem is Xen actually boots two kernels...the hypervisor
and the actual kernel, and if (I believe) the hypervisor grabs/configures
the serial port then it's not available to the second kernel (where I
*think* my panic is happening). I've tried adding console=XXX to both
kernel lines. The only one that seems to work is adding it to the
hypervisor, but then on the serial console I only get messages up to the
point that the second kernel is booted...nothing after.

Obviously more research is needed. I was just hoping someone had an easier
alternative ;-)

John