[ale] Putting wifi in the house

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:23:13 EST 2006

I agree. My room mate and run WPA at our apartment, and it has proven more
durable than WEP. Setting it up is a breeze, too.

WMM

On 1/30/06, Philip Polstra <ppolstra at gmail.com> wrote:

> You definitely want to use WPA encryption.  If your router only supports
> WEP, it is a least better than nothing.  Disabling the sending of the ESSID
> will detour some, but I can still get it through passive sniffing.
> Disabling DHCP can also detour some, but then you need to have the setup on
> each computer.  Using IPSec, or some other VPN product is also a great idea.
>
> To read more about this topic, I like the book "Wi-Foo".
>
> Phil Polstra, CISSP
>
> On 1/30/06, Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > The time has come for me to get WiFi instituted at home and I need to
> > understand what *should* be done as opposed to *what people typically
> > do*.
> >
> > I have a WiFi WAP that I bought on clearance about three years ago but
> > have only fooled around with once, and I also have a PCI WiFi card that
> > I bought around the same time that I haven't even used.  So, I could use
> > either the WAP or I could theoretically make one out of any number of
> > spare machines.
> >
> > What I would like to have happen is for our laptops to be able to "WiFi
> > up" at home as easily as at Joe Blow's Hotspot and Cafe.  However, I
> > also don't want to be trivially eavesdropped on or leeched off of (over
> > the weekend, the newer laptop was finding two nearby WAPs from the
> > living room and gave me the ESSID of one of them).  If those two
> > concepts are not compatible, I need to know so that I can make the
> > situation easily manageable.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2