[ale] Epson Stylus CX3200 issues

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:07:53 EST 2006

Hello all,

I've got an Epson Sylus CX3200 all-in-one scanner printer.  It's decent
enough to do what little printing and scanning I need to do.  When I have
big, non-color print jobs I can always use my old HP Laserjet 5p.

The CX3200 works well with XP once I've installed the appropriate Epson
software is installed.  I was using Xandros OC
3<http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_download.html>,
and the printer/scanner was working well.  I've decided that I want to
consolidate computers and hard drives, and I thought I'd give a standard
Debian install a try.  (While Xandros is good, it is somewhat crippled.  I
seemed to have a hard time getting gtk aps installed, amongst other
things.)  I've now hooked the printer up to an HP P-III 733 workstation.
Unfortunately Debian does not recognize the printer.  Neither does Knoppix.

Some of the research I've done makes it appear that this printer requires
quite a bit of work to get all of the functionality (printing AND scanning)
working.  One of the things I've read makes it appear that I've got to
recompile the kernel to make it work.  Xandros "just worked" when it came to
this printer/scanner, and I'd like to figure out what it was doing so I
could just make us of that rather than having to recompile or manually
configure anything.  I'm one of those Linux users who can't compile
anything, and I'm just so stubborn that I'm not going to start now.

Is there anyone who might have an idea as to what I could do to get this
printer and scanner working in Debian, or am I going to have to return to
Xandros and fight its limitations?

Thank you,

Josh Kite