[ale] Printer troubles

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Jan 25 07:20:44 EST 2006

On Tue January 24 2006 10:59 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
> Does "stopped" mean disabled or just idle? /dev/usb/lp0 definitely
> exists:

looks like it is disabled.

> crw-rw---- ?1 root lp 180, 0 2004-10-01 23:17 /dev/usb/lp0
>
> When I click on the "Start Printer" link I get an Authorization
> Dialog but no username/passwords seem to work (not even root!) How
> do I find out what a valid login would be?

that would be lppwasswd: man lppasswd
 lppasswd - add, change, or delete digest passwords.

SYNOPSIS
       lppasswd [ -a ] [ -g groupname ] [ -x ] [ username ]

DESCRIPTION
       lppasswd  adds,  changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS
digest password file,
       passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd will prompt for
the old and  new
       passwords.  When  run by the super-user, lppasswd can add new
accounts (-a user?
       name), change existing accounts (username), or delete accounts
(-x username)  in
       the digest password file. Digest usernames do not have to match
local UNIX user?
       names, but only UNIX usernames are supported by the CUPS client
programs (lp(1),
       lpr(1), etc.)

--
Paul Cartwright