[ale] Averatec

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Jan 24 20:36:59 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
>> What models of Dell were you unhappy with?  Like most manufacturers they
>> seem to have lines of laptops aimed and home and business users.
>> Usually the more expensive business class models (of any manufacturer)
>> are significantly nicer.
>
> I don't recall the models.  I do know they were top end hardware for the
> time, as I checked it out before I got them.  I was working for AT&T
> Labs at the time.  It's been a good 10 years since, but my distaste for
> Dell has continued since because of other problems along the way.

I dislike Dell's servers and I have no opinion on their desktops.
However, I don't think they were the same sort of company 10 years ago
as they are today.  I don't remember being impressed at all with their
laptop lines until the last few years.

I do happen to have a rather ginourmous Dell 386 sitting around doing
nothing :p.

>> I am typing this email on a 3+ year old Fujitsu P2120 sub notebook (3.4
>> pounds with both batteries).  This is the first, and only, Fujitsu
>> machine I have ever used.  If they build all their machines like this
>> one I would highly recommend them, this is by far the nicest laptop I
>> have ever owned.
>
> My Sony weighs in at 9+ lbs with both batteries.... :)  I love it
> though, never a problem.  (looking for wood to bang on....)

That probably qualifies as a desktop replacement :).  I am pretty sure
mine gets down to about 2 pounds with only the main battery and the
little no-drive bay insert doohickey :p.

Pat