[ale] Scanners

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 24 11:22:32 EST 2006

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 January 2006 09:47, Jim wrote:
> | My old scanner has croaked.  It's a Mustek 600 III EP Plus.  Why you'd
> | care, I don't know. :)  It's one of the parallel printer models.  It
> | just isn't there any longer.  The software doesn't find it, Linux nor
> | Windows so I need to get a new scanner, however it looks like the Linux
> | drivers for scanners trail the market.  I can't find a current
> | production scanner that Linux supports.
>
> Jim,
> The Viewscan software works with nearly every scanner, as far as I know.
> More data is here: https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html
>
> Although this is proprietary software (The Pro version costs about $90)
> I think it is the only one available for Linux that offers ICC profiles
> and IT8 color calibration. I'm using it to drive an Epson 3200 Photo scanner
> and it a far more complete package than the FOSS drivers I have used.

Viewscan was the driver I had intended to use for the Epson 4490.  When
I could not find the proper configuration files, I sent email to
viewscan, who in turn indicated that the 4490 was not currently
supported and that it was an error to indicate it was.  It was expected
that it would be supported soon, but soon doesn't get it for me. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey