[ale] SMP problems with Tyan Tiger MB

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 21 11:13:35 EST 2006

ALErs -

I'm having problems installing and running Linux (SuSE-9.3 and Fedora-C3)
on a salvage system based on a Tyan Tiger-100 MB and two PIII processors.

The effects are lockups (FC3 pre-installation at the 'testing halt' line),
disk discovery (several tries to start SuSE installation, then disk acess
failures when running, especially when warm).

Installation goes fine if I pull one processor.

BIOS is not latest - 1.x.18 vs. 1.x.20 now available.

Disk diagnostics all run fine from CD, hot or cold.

Any ideas to make this work on my motherboard? Jumpers? Settings? Magic?
Curses?

TIA.

 - Mills