[ale] Wine

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 20 12:18:12 EST 2006

docx at io.com wrote:
> On Fri, January 20, 2006 4:25 pm, Geoffrey said:
>
>>docx at io.com wrote:
>>
>>Let's not turn this into a windows/Linux debate okay?  But, what you've
>>said might have applied 5-10 years ago, not now.  There are a number of
>>Linux distros that are point and click.  My daughter installed her own,
>>my mother-in-law is on SuSE 10.1 and has been on SuSE since 7.3.
>>
>>You need to update your knowledgebase.
>

> My desktops have been Windows because of work constraints.  My experience with
> Linux has been primarily from a command-line working on boxes in data centers
> far away from me.  I'm sure desktop Linux has progressed much in the past 7-8
> years.

Then you should not post as you did previously, placing inaccurate
information on the internet for all to find.  Your post was completely
inaccurate.

> My point, though, was things failing in a different way than people are used
> to.  This is a serious problem (and speaking as someone who supports many,
> many phone company folks who've "done things this way for years and years and
> I don't care if it's better, I can't do it as well as I do it now", I am
> intimately familiar with the problem).

People change all the time.  They get used to it.  Hell, if they didn't
we'd still be riding horse and buggys.

> I'm definitely not trying to start a Windows/Linux debate.  I'm just saying
> some folks have comfort zones and prefer not to be moved outside them.  If
> there's something better to move them outside their comfort zone, it better
> damned well be better and not have any problems at all or they'll go back to
> their comfort zones faster than a rabbit to its hole.

Well that would describe both my mother-in-law and daughter's
experiences.  Ever since I moved them from Windows to Linux, I've spent
a whole lot less time dealing with problems.  Like I said, people change
all the time.

--
Until later, Geoffrey