[ale] IMAP and sub folders

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 19 19:36:49 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:39 +1100, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > I'm using Evolution connecting to Dovecot IMAP server on FC2.  Is it
> > possible to create IMAP folders with mailboxes under those folders.  I
> > want to do what is possible with Outlook.
> >

> Hey Chris,
>
>   Both the IMAP standards and Evolution support sub-folders, but I'm
> unsure of how Dovecot implements IMAP.  If it doesn't work for you right
> off, dig into the Dovecot docs and see if it is a configurable option,
> or else try replacing it with another IMAP server.

I have several systems running dovecot IMAP. Essentially, the folders
that a user creates will be created in their MAIL folder in their home
directory. This is the same way other IMAP servers work.

NOTE: I do not have any of these setup with virtual domains and/or
virtual users (i.e. no real login access to the IMAP server). I don't
know how dovecot treats email-only users.