[ale] OT - Power line networks

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Mon Jan 16 08:14:44 EST 2006

I have a couple of the Belkins.  I like them and am using them right now
to get my 2.4 Ghz VoIP & ATA away from my wireless router to preclude
interference.

They are not designed to cross circuit breakers nor transformers.  I've
had limited success with both of those configurations -- but nothing
reliable.  It might work if you had two contiguous apartments to tie
together.  Mileage varies.

In an apartment or house, I've had great results with no packet loss.
I've read that you have to just test it, especially in larger homes or
buildings where you cross phases.

I doubt throughput is anywhere near 14mbps.  I just use it for DSL
sharing.  The newer standard (already implemented by Corinex, I hear) is
supposed to go up to 200+ Mbps.  I think performance craps out at about
15 devices.  I've read about some enterprise/hospitality devices that
work across breakers, etc.  But, they require rewiring of the breaker by
a professional.

Overall, if you're looking to simply get connection from a to b, it
works great.  Might even work in small office environments, especially
in older buildings.

oobx