[ale] OT: Pranks are out

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 13:27:20 EST 2006

When I worked for the Air Force, I came to be in the frequent company of
two VAX admins, John and jack, who had a bit of the BOFH about them.  Me
and one other guy, whose name I've forgotten, were very interested in
the VAXen and what could be done with them.

Being multiuser systems, but way before IM, it was natural for users to
want to know who all was on the machine and you did this with the SHOW
USERS command, which would list all of the logged-on usernames, the
process name for each one, and a process ID number.  The process names
were user-definable, and so the process name became kind of a
15-character "vanity plate" for many of us.  Jack and John challenged
this other guy - motivated by a steak dinner, I recall - to write a
utility that would change *other people's* process name on the fly.
This guy was pretty geeky, more so than even me, so he flew into it with
a passion, spending hours with binders from the "orange wall" that VAX
people knew only too well.

He wrote up something in assembler that accessed process data within VMS
and Jack and John actually let this guy come in on a weekend so he could
try out his code with the necessary CHMKNL (Change Mode to Kernel)
privilege.  Doing this on a weekend was important because one wrong move
and you could crash a VAX (and I heard that he did) playing around like
this.  However, he got it to work, and from that point on Jack and John
could vandalize people's process names at will, even to the point of
making the entire list of process names read out little poems and so
forth.

One guy had a process name set to "B4I4QRU/18QT" and our BOFHs asked me
to figure out if there were a way to add a pi symbol to the end.  I
determined that indeed the terminals could display it, but you'd have to
insert the necessary control codes into process space much as that other
guy did...and rewrite the operating system to use 16-character process
names.

They did have something that would force input on another TTY port,
which was put to no small amount of mischief especially with the IM-like
PHONE utility.

Stone bastards that they were capable of being, I actually learned a lot
from those guys; because they didn't like to actually do work or be
bothered by people about work, they put an awful lot of effort into
automating everything to a very high degree, so as to leave themselves
more time for interprocess vandalism, dialup bulletin boards, making fun
of other employees, etc.

The worst that *I* ever did, if you can call this a prank, was to use a
school computer (Data General Nova) to find a girl's unlisted phone
number by process of elimination (thankfully, it was a phone exchange
that was barely over a page in the phone book); once all the numbers
were entered in an array, it was easy to identify whole swaths of
invalid numbers and after that, I was left with a manageable amount of
numbers to cold-call.  Yes, I got her number; no, it didn't get me anywhere.