[ale] Installation sources

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:05:25 EST 2006

On 1/6/06, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri Jan 06, 2006 04:27PM, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > Hi, Group
> >
> > I am a lurker of about three months.   I am  humiliated to be asking
> > such a naive question, but here goes after a little background.  I have
> > a Suse Linux 10.0 install with KDE 3.5 so what I'm asking pertains to
> > the ale SuSE mirror.      What installation source entries should I be
> > puting in the Yast2 Installation Source window so I may keep the system
> > updated?
> > I am nearby in Tennessee so I've used ale.org and the Georgia Tech
> > software library.
> > I use a slow  1xRTT  wireless connection  since my dialup is limited to
> > 24kbs with  no hope for higher speeds.  I actually get 144+ kbs in the
> > wee hours so most file transfers are done then.
> >
> > If someone can point me to a reference I will RTFM.  At this point I
> > just need  a simple list of server directories that Yast will accept.
> >
> > Thanks in advance..
> >
> > Jack
>
> Check out http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories
>
> Lots of other good openSUSE info here as well.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Trey
> ----

Not a dumb question.  SuSE is very confusing right now for online usage.

If you are talking about YOU (Yast Online Update service for security
updates) that should already have ftp.ale.org as a pull-down choice.

If you want Yast2 Software Management access to the normal RPMs that
are part of the OpenSUSE distro then in addition to everything shown
at the above url you also need to add the 2 repos at:

ftp://ftp.ale.org/mirrors/opensuse/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source
ftp://ftp.ale.org/mirrors/opensuse/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source-java

SuSE has not advertized the above from what I've seen, but they
contain all the base OpenSUSE RPMs.  ie. Without these 2, if a RPM is
on the OpenSUSE ISOs, then I don't think they are online in a Yast
repository other than the above.

I'm not sure if the above OpenSUSE RPMs are what was used to generate
the actual 10.0 retail release or not.  If not, I have no idea where
to find the RPMs that were used in the retail release.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group