[ale] Asterisk Success

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:43:38 EST 2006

On 1/3/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 13:31 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > How does a PBX help with that?
>
> If I ordered a chanalized T1 can I not do the pooling myself.  Can I not
> specify that lines 1-5 are at 678-XXX-XXXX?

AFAIK, you tell the phone company the above.  They are the ones that
"provision" the incoming T1 appropriately.

With ISDN I think you are able to use the data (control) channel to
manage the pooling.

ie. When a new call is ready in the ISDN world a message is sent
across the data (control) channel that says you have a call for
678-xxx-xxxx.  The pbx then tells the phone company which (bearer)
channel to use for that specific call.

That way the pooling etc. is controlled at the customer end.  With a
standard 24-port T1 I don't know how to controll which incoming calls
use which channel.

FYI: You can have multiple ISDN T1s share a common data channel.  I
think upto 4 ISDNs can be ganged together.  It has been a while since
I did any ISDN work.  Anyway the data channel takes away one of your
bearer channels.  ie. IIRC they call them 23B+D, 47B+D, etc.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group