[ale] Asterisk Success

cfowler at outpostsentinel.com cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 2 13:39:38 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 08:30:47PM -0500, Tony Carter wrote:
> > My intended use is to accept one T1 line from the telco and
> > have the equivalent analog lines going to modems.  That means
> > I will need at least 24 FX0 ports on that PC.  I intend to
> > only use a handful of ATA adapaters.  I will not be dealing
> > with a bunch of handsets attached to the PBX via VOIP.  This
> > will be all analog connections to the PBX and then out the T1 line.
>
> Gotcha. If your providing dial in/out type services then you don't need a 1
> to 1 ratio. Can't get 64k from a pots line.

Correct.  We'll have 100's of devices but they'll be dialing in sporadiacly
reporting alarms from report PBX units like Alcatel, Meridian, etc.  So if there
is a peak of calls I can add a analog line to a pool.

> > My understanding with the hardware available is that you
> > can't have 24 FXO ports on a PC because you may not have
> > enough PCI slots.
>
> Nor would you want 24 individual cards on a single PC. Digium (The creators
> of Asterisk)
> has what you're looking for:
>
> TDM2400P 24-port analog board customizable in 4-port blocks with either FXS
> or FXO. This board uses an amphenol cable (not included) to provide the 24
> ports.

This is probably what I need.  Most people using Asterisk is going to use it with
handsets attached via SIP.  I'll be 95% FX0 and then I may use ATA's to allow some of our
sales reps to use the benifits of Asterisk supporting SIP.  So I'm looking to use
Asterisk for "traditional" analog phone service to modems in a datacenter.