[ale] distro for carputer

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sun Feb 5 01:55:45 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
> I've been toying with this idea as well.  I'd like to have voice
> recognition via bluetooth headset.  I don't know how viable that is, but
> I'm slowly looking into it.
>
> I'm thinking of clustering a number of old laptops.  This is a
> distinctly different direction then dashwerks, as I recall, he used a
> low power motherboard.  The touch screen devices are pretty expensive,
> plus I don't have much space for one, 6x4, maybe 8x4.

I have toyed with the idea of an in car computer many times.  After much
thought I decided that I wouldn't use a touch screen.  I can use
everything in my cars by touch, I don't want to look at a 5 inch screen
while I am driving to try to find the "button" I want to hit.

In my car, I would mount a numeric keypad directly behind the gear shift
and write up some software to control everything from that.  17 keys
should be enough to do just about anything, and I can use it without
looking.  YMMV, of course :).

Pat