[ale] Xterm -- now way OT

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Fri Feb 3 10:39:28 EST 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 09:59, Paul Cartwright wrote:
| I'll bet that's even before the IBM Correcting Selectric!

Well, maybe. I took an Olivetti portable (well sorta -- it had a
cast aluminum chassis and must have weighed more than 30 pounds)
off to college -- back in the days of "co-erasable bond paper."
Hideous stuff. I _think_ the selectric typewriters with their removeable
"golf ball" type faces came in about that time.  The "white-out" on the
bottom half of the typewriter ribbon was added within a year or two.
I am confident that by the time I finished up (after Uncle played with me
for a while) they were common. By '68 IBM was producing selectrics driven by
mag tape for steno pools.

Sean