[ale] OT: Editing a DVD

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Aug 29 09:39:16 EDT 2006

I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out how to edit a DVD.  All
the video formats are getting confusing and it seems like any Windows
program I try does not seem to support reading the video from the DVD.

On Linux I wanted to try Kino but all the dependencies made it almost
impossible to get compiled.

Here is what I'm trying to do.

1.  Record Survivorman onto a DVD+RW using
    a DVD+R/RW set top record
2.  Edit video to remove commercials and
    make sure the beginning is the start of
    the show and the end is the credits.
3.  Create a DVD-R with the edited video.

I've got step 1 done.  I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 which I use
to create DVDs from my video camera but it has no clue
how to read a VOB file on a DVD.  Strange thing is that it
can create them but not read them?

I really want to do this in Linux.  Any ideas on how I can?