[ale] Conceptual issue with self-hosting

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 25 17:42:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:15:43 -0400
"Brian D. Pitts" <bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu> wrote:

>>> My question is:  how can I access the webmail interface of Bravo on
>>> the outside given my current setup?
>
>If Alpha is running Apache, you can use mod_proxy to cause Alpha to
>act as a reverse proxy and send you content from Beta. See
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html
>
>The configuration would be something like
>
> ProxyRequests Off
>
><Proxy *>
>Order deny,allow
>Allow from all
></Proxy>
>
>ProxyPass /mail http://beta/mail
>ProxyPassReverse /mail http://beta/mail
>
>-Brian

Thanks.  This is a SLES10 install, I would *assume* mod_proxy is
installed.  Where do I put the above configuration?  Is there a
separate config file or is it entered in httpd.conf?

This is Apache 2.2.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Now that you've read Fortune's diet truths, you'll be prepared the next
time some housewife or boutique-owner-turned-diet-expert appears on TV
to plug her latest book.  And, if you still feel a twinge of guilt for
eating coffee cake while listening to her exhortations, ask yourself
the following questions:

(1) Do I dare trust a person who actually considers alfalfa sprouts a
    food?
(2) Was the author's sole motive in writing this book to get rich
    exploiting the forlorn hopes of chubby people like me?
(3) Would a longer life be worthwhile if it had to be lived as
    prescribed ... without French-fried onion rings, pizza with
    double cheese, or the occasional Mai-Tai?  (Remember, living
    right doesn't really make you live longer, it just *seems* like
    longer.)

That, and another piece of coffee cake, should do the trick.

Linux salamander 2.6.16.21-0.13-default i686 GNU/Linux
  5:41pm  up 3 days  0:46,  5 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.12, 0.15