[ale] Conceptual issue with self-hosting

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 25 14:27:29 EDT 2006

Hi all-

I'm having a bit of a conceptual issue I'm trying to fight through.  I
have a domain that I host locally here at home.  I'm assigned a dynamic
IP by my ISP, so I use zoneedit.com and ddclient to update my A records
at zoneedit.

My Internet facing IP gets updated periodically and I have A records
for mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com, and oes.mydomain.com (which all
point to the same IP address).  Zoneedit also has an MX entry I created
to pass mail onto oes.mydomain.com.

I have a firewall at home and a DMZ behind which sit a couple of
boxes.  I have rules in place which pass HTTP packets to Alpha and an
SMTP proxy setup for mail that gets passed to Bravo.  One box (Alpha
with IP 192.168.0.200) is a webserver and pointing to mydomain.com or
www.mydomain.com gives me the index page on Alpha.

The other box (Beta with IP 192.168.0.201) is a mail server.  It also
has the ability to access mail via a web interface by going to
192.168.0.201/mail *internally*.  However, I want to be able to access
the webmail interface *externally* as well, but of course going to
mydomain.com/mail or oes.mydomain.com/mail doesn't work.  I assume that
this is because these requests are going to Alpha and not Beta.

Alpha also acts as the DNS behind the firewall for the machines on the
subnet.  I have entries for both Alpha and Beta there (A and CNAME
records with name and IP).

My question is:  how can I access the webmail interface of Bravo on the
outside given my current setup?

--
Cheers,
Trey

"If a team is in a positive frame of mind, it will have a good
attitude.  If it has a good attitude, it will make a commitment to
playing the game right.  If it plays the game right, it will win --
unless, of course, it doesn't have enough talent to win, and no manager
can make goose-liver pate out of goose feathers, so why worry?"
		-- Sparky Anderson

Linux salamander 2.6.16.21-0.13-default i686 GNU/Linux
  2:15pm  up 2 days 21:21,  5 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.39, 0.28