[ale] DSL -> Cable

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Fri Aug 25 10:58:06 EDT 2006

James,

   I was getting ready to post, but I can't say enough BAD things
about charter without resorting to lots of foul language. I just
went through a 2 week outage with them. Once the connection
came back up it promptly went down again with a hollow
promise of "it will take 24 hours." Any time you have a problem
it takes at least 11-14 days to get a repair tech to come out (this
has happened to me three times this year). Their tech support is
the worst. They read from a script and they don't have any
information about outages, what's wrong, what's being worked,
or anything else. I would rather talk to someone in India because
they have nice accents and I can ask them about life over there.
   I know you want to find cheaper net access, but Charter is not
one I would recommend. Is there anything else you could try?

Good Luck!

Jeff

P.S. While I'm on the subject, I'm looking to kick the shit out
of charter. I know people recommend SpeedFactory, but what
about Covad or Cyberonic?

P.P.S. I've also had problems with my cable (our for a week)
so I'm looking to replace it. Anyone care to comment on Dish
or any other satellite service?