[ale] From DSL to Fiber

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Thu Aug 24 18:10:16 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:57:15PM -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:

> I don't know about anyone else, but I'm gittin' a headache.
> --
> Scott Castaline aka Bad2theBone

Perhaps I was too subtle for y'all.

My intended point was that:
1.5 MB does NOT denote a transfer speed, just as 200 knots/hr does not
denote a flight speed.
1.5 MB is a number of Bytes.
1.5 MB/s is a rate of transfer.
200 knots is a speed.
200 knots/hr is an acceleration.

And sloppy notation confuses people.

For those who didn't enjoy physics 101, let me pedantically explain
that an airplane flying at 200 knots/hour, or any other constant
acceleration, is physically impossible, as Prof. Einstein would
confirm.

But if such a vehicle could be realized, it wouldn't be much fun, as
my "Answer" suggested.  From standstill, it would take 1/2 hour to
reach 100 knots - a ballpark speed to achieve flight.
During that time it's average speed would be 50 knots,
so it would travel 25 nmi.

Before you go out to buy one, look around for a suitable runway.
And make sure the price is $100. and not $100./hour.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us