[ale] From DSL to Fiber

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Aug 24 15:57:45 EDT 2006

On 08/24/2006 03:38:14 PM, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> But knots per hour = 1.15 statute miles per hour per hour
> which would denote acceleration.  Therefore knots per hour
> itself is not wrong.

Errr. I'm not so sure about that. There is redundant
information in "an aircraft flies". Now if the statement
read "an aircraft accelerates..." I might buy the argument,
but flying (to me at least, and I suspect in general) would
rather imply essentially steady flight with just sufficient
various accelerations necessary for stable flight.

> What is wrong is it implies you could actually reach the
> speed of light.  Due to time/mass dilation effects at
> relativistic velocities (1/4 C or greater) it would be
> impossible to do even if your poor little plane didn't
> melt from heat in the atmosphere.  (It would have to be in
> the atmosphere of course because propellers and [air] jets
> don't work in a vacuum.)
>
> :-)

Of course, being of the nature of a thought problem, the
physics of flight (such as air resistance) can be ignored.

8-)