[ale] From DSL to Fiber

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 12:17:46 EDT 2006

Any data service is limited by its upstream bandwidth.  And, as odd as it
may seem, there have been times where BellSouth has provisioned a FITL
cabinet with T1 lines which were running on copper.  That's very, very rare
these days and I think I only heard of that in Mississippi.

I don't think I ever provisioned a FITL cabinet with anything less than 4 T1
lines, but that's just enough for the POTS service. It's possible that the
DSL solutions were, in the early days, fed with one or two T1's.  When I
completely left the provisioning world, though, it was rare that we
provisioned a cabinet with anything less than an OC1, and there were times
where we provisioned it with an OC3.  I think, but I'm not sure, that the
newer cabinests are being provisioned with gigabit ethernet over fiber as
opposed to muxes which provide T1's and OC services.  I'm completely out of
that world today, so it's hard for me to be sure.