[ale] Hmm. New employer for someone?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Aug 23 18:04:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:33 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I remember going to the "IBM Tower" in midtown right after IBM had
> started doing layoffs for the first time in its history in the early
> 90s.

90's? Try mdi to late 80's. I was living just down the road from IBM's
"Star Complex" in Boca Raton, Fl. in the 80's, when they started with
the layoffs there. Several support company's went under and to help out
their employees that were to be laid off, by encouraging them to go out
as PC consultants. IBM allowed thes people to give free services to
propective clients. This essentially put just about all of the
independent PC shops in S. FL. out of bussiness, including yous truly.
It's hard to compete with free as in free speech. These employees were
also selling hardware at close to their cost, which was much cheaper
than we were able to get in large quantities. Add to that mix CompUSA &
Computer City, and that pretty much destroyed hdwe & sftwe sales.

--
Scott Castaline aka Bad2theBone

Hey! I was born crazy, what's your excuse?