[ale] Cheap hosting with both shell and admin panel

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Aug 17 17:05:35 EDT 2006

On Thursday 17 August 2006 09:20 am, A LeDonne wrote:

(Thanks to all four of you for the fresh leads! Will spend some time
researching each one and reply back when I decide.)

> Question: does this search tool run as a web app, or is it a console
> app/daemon/bot/something else? If the latter, the main question will
> be policies, rather thn cost.

Don't actually have it yet, he is waiting for me to get my ducks in a row.
One part is a script that runs from cron. This checks ten diffrent news
servers (with their permission) at some set interval for new groups. The
other part is a simple search page that checks one group name at a time
against the ten stored lists and returns a short list of results. It also
checks for the presence of a control message at isc.org and unzips them.

The tool is intended for proponents of new groups. Both to check if one
already exists before proposing, and tell how well a new group is
propagating after the fact.

Once I get it up and running, if anyone knows of a news server that would
like the free publicity of being included just let me know.
--
William