[ale] RedHat Enterprise vs. FreeBSD

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Aug 16 15:35:06 EDT 2006

Mostly work on Linux and UNIX here.  One of the things I liked about
FreeBSD was that in fairly quick order I was able to find out ways to do
some things.  One of the coolest was finding an easy way to bundle up an
installed package on one server so that the bundle could be used as a
package to install on another server.  At the time I'd done nothing on
FreeBSD so feared it would take days to figure out even if it were
possible.

Probably possible with RHEL Linux rpm and UNIX (HP-UX swpkg for example)
but not quite so easily done from the times I've needed to do it in a
hurry.

My one gripe about FreeBSD is the fact it uses some old style init
script stuff so sometimes tracking down what actually kicked of some
automated task takes some digging.

I'm a lot more comfortable with RHEL but mainly due to having installed
it several times.   The FreeBSD stuff here was installed before I got
here.