[ale] Slackware 11.0 RC1 is Out

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:06:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:55 -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I just had to look on ftp.kernel.org, out of curiousity:
>
> linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2
> <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2> 32476
> KB 12/18/03 00:00:00

Yeah.  I understand stability, however, I think that the line between
stability and new software is being a bit crossed on this one.  It is
kind of interesting, because I was wondering whether or not he would
move to 2.6, and I wonder if the lack of UMSDOS has anything to do with
it.  I am sure that someone out there still finds ZipSlack useful? but
then again, I think that it would have been just fine if Slack used 2.6
by default and 2.4 as a fall back option.  Lack of 2.6 by default was
one of the reasons I stopped using Slackware, because 2.6 just has a lot
of damn cool features that make things in the userland happier, and (at
least on the machines I run on) have never encountered stability issues
that were attributable to the kernel; just hardware bugs/instabilities.

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad