[ale] Presentation from ALE Central last Thursday now up...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 14 17:36:47 EDT 2006

Hey all...

	Took me a little longer to get my presentation up on my web site than I
anticipated, but it's finally there.

	You can get it here:

	http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/2006/Wireless-Security-ALE/

	From that page, you can also download the OpenOffice, PowerPoint, or
PDF versions of the talk, as you like.

	Worthy of note:  Since the talk on Thursday at Emory, a paper has now
been announced describing a real-time attack against WEP which allows
the attacker to begin sending (somewhat limited) data after receiving
only a single WEP encrypted packet.  This, in turn, rapidly leads to
more extensive breakage and eventual key compromise, even for a
relatively quiescent network.  It allows for immediate ARP queries of
others devices and, if you have an Internet server at your command, it
allows you to independently build up your "known plaintext" keystream
dictionary.  Reception of a single ARP packet is sufficient.  :-(  This
involves a combination of IV reuse, data (ARP) leakage, and a layer 2
fragmentation attack, in a new, more effective, attack.  It's claimed
it's fast enough to even keep up with dynamic rekeying.  Like I said in
the live talk, when I mentioned having to revise it since the talk at
AUUG on the previous Monday, it's a dynamic field.  Guess I have to
revise that talk AGAIN.

	The Final Nail in WEP's Coffin
	http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/M.Handley/papers/fragmentation.pdf

	It's an interesting read.  Don't let the level of technical details
scare you off.  You can skim the groady details and get to the chase
pretty easily and it's not an overly difficult read for the conclusions.

	Mike