[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 15:10:12 EDT 2006

>Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:04:23 -0400
>From: "James Sumners" <james.sumners at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?
>To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
>
>Still, I shouldn't have to turn to forums and wikis to use a
>distribution that is supposed to be easy to use and maintain.

What a trollish thing to say. But I'll bite. IMO, one of the things that
makes Ubuntu easy to use and maintain IS the forums and wikis. Besides, what
are we comparing this to?

That said, I have never had a problem with the 'half-baked knowledge' of the
forums and wikis and I'm sorry you feel the need to insult the communities'
input.

If you want to do anything it isn't setup to do you are in for a headache?
I'm not sure what that means or how you drew that conclusion. I've found it
infinitely more flexible than other distros I have tried.

Also, as you previously ignored, there is a huge difference between the
previous Breezy release and the current Dapper release. For example, I just
installed xfce-desktop with apt-get last week and it worked without a hitch
and could be selected from the login screen with no further configuration.

I normally don't feed the trolls and I'm not trying to get into some
distro-war, I just thought I should identify the slander for the people who
haven't experienced Ubuntu Dapper yet.

-Steve