[ale] new to linux, question about partitioning

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 21:51:13 EDT 2006

In the interest of pedantry, :) there is no "/swap" in this case; the
swap partition is not mounted to a mount point in the machine's
filesystem tree.  Whereas you can swap to a file in the filesystem tree
in lieu of using a proper swap partition, this is only done in rare
cases (i.e., via NFS to keep diskless machines from dying outright if
they get RAM-bound) and is said to be a lot slower than the use of a
proper swap partition.