[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:18:33 EDT 2006

That is the nature of some (though not all) of the debian die hards. Having
been at the forefront of many many many Ubuntu vs Debian arguments where we
as Ubuntu users are so flagrantly accused of not "giving back to debian" I
understand the rationale around and behind "I dont like it because its not
debian". But I feel not liking something because of this fact is a shallow
representation to the actual functionality of the Distro -- in this case
Ubuntu, for and in which current release has out performed any of its
previous releases, and im sure more than one person here will aggree with me
, if not I guess Im an island, but oh well -- or its ability to be useful.

That be said, the original question what , what do you think of ArchLinux. I
think Arch, much like any other sub level distro is more functional that
some of its counterparts (This includes Zenwalk , only because im an old
Slackware fan, and I have a special place in my heart for Slackware, even
though Ubuntu is my primary distro over the umpteen number of machines I
have in my house). Id put BLAG, Puppy, Kanotix, Frugalware, Nexenta (which
is a really killer build of OpenSolaris, and I actually like it too), and
Arklinux. Arch has many pluses to it, an independent Package manager (aptly
named Pacman , where is Midway to scoop up rights on that name or something
, I swear) and its fresh look and feel. So open up a Xen, Qemu, VMware,
OpenVZ window and install it and tell us what you think Mr. Sumners. Id be
anxious to hear your experiences.

On 8/4/06, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you are joking. But, no, I haven't considered it
> because I know I don't like it.
>
> On 8/4/06, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> > James Sumners wrote:
> > > I have stated my opinion of Ubuntu. I would appreciate it if people
> > > will now stop trying to convince me it is some sort of Holy Grail.
> > > I've been using Debian since the Slink (2.1) release. I think I can
> > > tell the difference between Debian and a Debian derivative; and
> > > develop a fair opinion of them.
> >
> > But have you considered Ubuntu?
> >
> > --
> > Until later, Geoffrey
> >
> > Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
> > security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."