[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:37:03 EDT 2006

Speaking as an ubuntu-ite, and who wouldnt if they were anyway, Give Dapper
a shot.

Ive used Arch before, and a number of Ubuntu geeks I know use it (and
zenwalk too, I guess if your a slack fan like I was in the old days, it
means something). The PACman thing was kind of cool from what I could tell,
but doesnt do much for a gamer like me.

Now if they implemented something like SMART , now that would be cool --
http://labix.org/smart

On 8/3/06, Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot at pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Thu August 3 2006 2:19 pm, James Sumners wrote:
> > Recently, the primary drive in my Linux machine developed a few
> > hundred bad sectors. I sent it to Seagate for replacement last week.
> > I should be getting the replacement drive soon. I was running SuSe
> > 10.1 on the machine, upgraded from 10.0. I decided to use SuSe
> > because, due to classes, I don't really have time to keep up with
> > Debian/Sid. I liked 10.0 for what it was, an easy to maintain
> > desktop Linux distribution. After upgrading to 10.1, though, I have
> > become less satisfied with the distribution. The mangling of the
> > package management system, and having to use an alternate (Smart),
> > really turns me off of using SuSe for my personal machine again.
>
> hmm, well I am still running 10.0 on my desktop, glad I haven't
> upgraded:) I DO use smart though, I really like it, only because it is
> now supported, and it is more apt-get like.
> >
> > I plan on switching back to Debian/Sid once my new drive comes in.
> > However, if anyone can make a compelling argument for using Arch
> > Linux instead, I may give it a try. Keep in mind that I prefer
> > Debian and the "Debian Way". So, if you have experience with both,
> > please speak up. Or if you just really like Arch and can give a good
> > overview of the system, let's hear it.
>
> well, why not Kubuntu/Ubuntu?????? It IS Debian style, I have it
> installed on my laptop!!
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."