[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Aug 3 14:26:13 EDT 2006

On Thu August 3 2006 2:19 pm, James Sumners wrote:
> Recently, the primary drive in my Linux machine developed a few
> hundred bad sectors. I sent it to Seagate for replacement last week.
> I should be getting the replacement drive soon. I was running SuSe
> 10.1 on the machine, upgraded from 10.0. I decided to use SuSe
> because, due to classes, I don't really have time to keep up with
> Debian/Sid. I liked 10.0 for what it was, an easy to maintain
> desktop Linux distribution. After upgrading to 10.1, though, I have
> become less satisfied with the distribution. The mangling of the
> package management system, and having to use an alternate (Smart),
> really turns me off of using SuSe for my personal machine again.

hmm, well I am still running 10.0 on my desktop, glad I haven't
upgraded:) I DO use smart though, I really like it, only because it is
now supported, and it is more apt-get like.

> I plan on switching back to Debian/Sid once my new drive comes in.
> However, if anyone can make a compelling argument for using Arch
> Linux instead, I may give it a try. Keep in mind that I prefer
> Debian and the "Debian Way". So, if you have experience with both,
> please speak up. Or if you just really like Arch and can give a good
> overview of the system, let's hear it.

well, why not Kubuntu/Ubuntu?????? It IS Debian style, I have it
installed on my laptop!!
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800