[ale] cpuinfo data

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 20:03:22 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:30 -0600, JK wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:32 -0500, Denny Chambers wrote:
> >
> >>Is this a laptop cpu? Mobile CPU's (and possible some green Desktop
> >>CPU's) have stepping technology, where they will step down the CPU speed
> >>to save power (battery).
> >

> > Not a laptop. This is a 2U server. There are two. One with dual core
> > Opteron supposedly at 2.6GHz but cpuinfo says is a 1.8GHz and the other
> > is a dual core Xeon that both cpuinfo and bios says is 2.6 GHz.
>
> You've probably already checked this, but doesn't
> AMD "scale" the speeds of their chips to be
> comparable to Intel chips in performance? So
> an AMD "2600" might actually be running at
> 1800Mhz, but perform equivalently to a 2600Mhz
> Intel chip (or so they'd like us to believe).
>
> -- JK

Makes me wonder if I could find a way to verify that claim.  I have the
following:

fd0man at allspice:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 47
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1809.279
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3622.46
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

fd0man at allspice:~$

So, does that mean that my CPU should perform roughly equivalent to an
Intel EM64T model running at 3.0 GHz (save for the fact that the EM64T
CPUs have the sse3 instruction set, and this Athlon? 64 does not)?

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad