[ale] Hardening of the brain

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:00:57 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 11:57 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> It's not always a result of age.  I remember when I was a still a "pup"
> and first had access to Windoze over DOS I refused to use it saying
> "someone who knows what he is doing doesn't need namby pamby GUI".  Over
> the years though, I have found many GUI tools that I prefer to use over
> CLI.  Sometimes you just don't change because there's no pressing need.
>
> One argument to help people switch that know you work in IT would be
> simply to say to them "If it were Linux I could help but I really don't
> know Windoze".  Free support might make all the difference.  :-)
>
> I still say this internet thing will never really catch on...

I still use the command line for many things, though not nearly as much
as I used to.  One of my biggest mistakes growing up was sticking to
using the CLI/terminal programs on Linux so much.  I did everything?
e-mail, usenet, web, everything?using terminal programs, instead of X.

The impression that my mother got was that Linux was an operating system
that was driven only by the keyboard and that there was no interface.
Of course, I had to show her that this is not the case when I showed her
Ubuntu? but that didn't get what I wanted accomplished.  At least, I
think for now, I have "planted the bug" in her brain.

Of course, Microsoft is messing up with their other computer and she
said, "I am NOT paying for another copy of Windows?!"  So, it is
possible that Microsoft may have pushed her and given her that last
nudge necessary to make the move.

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad