[ale] SuSE NewbieQ 2: How to change file and directory permis sions?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Fri Sep 30 13:24:50 EDT 2005

Geoffrey -

Thanks for the note.

-----Original Message-----
James Sumners wrote:
> Unmount the partition and change the permissions on the mount point to
> be 777 (flames?). Make sure the options for the mount point in your
> mtab definition include the user option and then remount it. That
> should get it.

G.> Mount point perms have nothing to do with the perms after it's mounted.
I can't get my hands on the permissions once the drive is mounted, and (as
your example showed), permissions at the mount point are over-ridden by
those of whatever is mounted.

G.> Are you sure it's vfat?  ntfs is always mounted readonly on Linux.
Seems to be. I created it that way as part of my installation.

It isn't strictly 'readonly' - /etc/fstab gives 'defaults', and my explicit
variations were all over-ridden as well. In fact 'root' gets ownership and
seems to have full rights in that partition (as does any monkey when WinXP
is running).

I have the same situation in my old RH-7.3, so I've given up on this for
now.

Best,
 - Mills