[ale] OT: NT/XP/2K/2K3 Disk Imaging

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:56:14 EDT 2005

It is not the case, should you elect to use a tool called Sysprep. This is a
MS tool to allow imaging of 2000/XP/2003 machines by changing the SIDs in
the OS, and, optionally (but highly recommended) to reload all PNP drivers
(which most hardware is now anyway). You can put drivers in a dicrectory,
tell Windows where to look for drivers (registry key), and then run the
Sysprep tool. From there, use whatever imaging software you like (including
the venerable dd), and put that on a different machine. When it boots
Windows the first time, it will ask a few questions (if you hadn't provided
satisfactory answers), and realign its configuration to better match your
hardware.

It mostly works, but there are a few gotchas with regards to signed drivers,
and changes in the SCSI/IDE interfaces. Unfortunately the majority of my job
responsibilities are in maintaining this stuff.

PLENTY of resourse available online, though some will contradict each other.

For starters: http://www.appdeploy.com and http://microsoft.com

bnm