[ale] making a bootable CD

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.2y.net
Tue Sep 20 13:11:52 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:50:45PM -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> I am having problems with both lilo and GRUB. So, I thought: "Make yourself a
> boot disk!" The only problem is that the image for my kernel no longer fits
> on a floppy. So, naturally, my thoughts turned to making a boot CD. But thius
> doesn't appear to be as straightforward as it could be. Does anybody have any
> good pointers to a page with instructions? The stuff I found with Google
> looked seeveral years old and way out of date.

The command to make a boot disk is - are you ready? - mkbootdisk
The man page more or less explains the process.  However, I was
unsuccessful in finding any arguments for mkbootdisk that would
write a CD directly, in one step.
This may imply a bug in mkbootdisk.

Here's a two step process that worked for me:

    # mkbootdisk --verbose --iso --size 700000 --device /tmp/boot.iso \
            2.6.12-1.1447_FC4

    which creates an iso image - obviously too big for a floppy
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root 3151872 Sep 20 12:32 /tmp/boot.iso

    # cdrecord -v -eject dev=ATA:1,0,0 driveropts=burnfree -dao /tmp/boot.iso

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.2y.net     www.datix.us