[ale] Linux on new laptops

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 19 12:22:48 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 11:25 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop.  I'm looking for something that is <
> $1000 and it must run Linux.  I would like to know if anyone here can
> recommend a recent model that works well.  I thought about buying a Mac
> but I program in Linux and I need to run Linux.

Linux on Mac hardware laptops: I have a G3 ibook running Yellowdog 4. Of
the X screen goes to sleep, the box is basically halted. Plus Linux is
_VERY_ geared towards mice that have more than 1 button. The
multi-button hacks for Macs are a PIA (F10 for middle button, F11 for
right button).

Thinkpads are very nice machines. Good Linux support on almost all
models now. New ones are >$1k, though (off-lease and refurbs at tiger
direct are <$1k). Apparently there are a lot of happy Toshiba Linux
users as well. tuxmobile.org/mylaptops.html has a makers list of install
info by users. Toshiba get consistently high marks fro quality.