[ale] hald

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Sep 18 22:08:10 EDT 2005

Somebody may have already responded, and somebody is almost sure to
respond more fully. However - if you are running a recent distro, I think
that the hald binary represents the "Hardware Abstraction Layer Daemon".
Other than it has something to do with hotplugging and dynamic
reconfiguration, I don't understand it at all.

Now if somebody with more details can either deny/confirm, and if confirm
fill in a pile of background, I'd appreciate it. (Yes, I know - Google. It
is on the list to look up).

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> My box was doing some strange things the other day so I ran
> [ps aux] to see what was running. The only thing I could find
> that seemed odd was "hald", running as root.
>
> Never heard of it; ran a "find" and it turned up in /usr/sbin.
> this way:
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 205448 Dec  1  2004 hald
>
> Anybody know what this might be or what it might be doing?
> "man" and "info" turn up nothing and it's not listed in any of the
> reference books I have on the shelf.
>
> Sean

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance