[ale] BellSouth DSL setup

Marvin the Martian marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 03:16:21 EDT 2005

J. Cary Howell wrote:

><rant>
>I loathe Bellsouth, namely because of all the port blocking they do on
>their network -- supposedly to protect "me".  Bah!  They ain't bright
>enough to troubleshoot a PPoE connection on anything except windows and
>not sure they are bright enough to do that either, so I don't need their
>port blocking protection.  Kinda why we have iptables, firewalls, et.
>al.
></rant>

I've not had any trouble with any blocked ports- since I put the
modem/router Hellsouth sent me into "bridge" mode.  IOW's the
modem/router doesn't have NAT or dhcpd enabled, it doesn't log-in or
start a pppoe session, it just passes through signals either way and
sits there quietly blinking.

This is the Westell 1600 they're giving out nowadays to home
subscribers, but I'm sure any other dsl router they provide can be
simularly configured.

*THEN* you set-up rpppoe in the usual manner, configure your own
firewall, etc.  :-)