[ale] OT: Re: BellSouth DSL setup

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 16 11:53:42 EDT 2005

When I was setting up a new server pile that was going to be fed by a
nwe T1 line, I took no chances that BS would bugger up something. I (and
my wife) dug the trench, laid in 1" electrical PVC and then pulled a 6
pair, armored, direct-burial rated phone line from the dmarc line to the
pole and left 25' of slack at the pole for BS to use to run up the pole
and connect in to the line system.

The BS tech cut off the line 5' up the pole and put a junction box in.
He claimed that since it was a direct burial line it couldn't be used on
the pole. I was _TRYING_ to get a solid line from the pole to the demarc
point using a very robust line.

On the inside at the demarc point, the install tech cut off the line
leaving no slack at all. In fact, he even creased the insulation making
the bend out of the conduit to take up any excess slack. Inside the
junction box, the wires are cut so short that they can't ever be removed
and replaced. The junction box was placed directly adjacent (i.e.
touching) the supply conduit.

A few weeks later, another tech was out working on a neighbors system
installing a new phone line. I had to explain using very small words
that the 6 pairs in that box went underground into MY place and he
couldn't use a pair for his new line.

That box now has a padlock on it and a note giving key access
instructions for BS.

The way things are going, without some sort of legislative protections,
BS is going to bugger up enough to be reduced to a wire-n-pole company.
Having seen their work in action lately, that really scares me.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>