[ale] dangerous - but i did it anyway

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Sep 15 22:20:58 EDT 2005

I don't know what Xwindow related files may have been in your /tmp, but I can
give offer a tip on moving or sizing oversized or badly offset windows to
where you can access the corners or gadgets:

On the Gnome / Sawfish desktop I'm running on this box right now, pressing the
ALT key along with a LEFT Mouse Button click and hold allows me to
re-position the window from anywhere within it, not just at the title bar.

Pressing the ALT key along with a RIGHT Mouse Button click and hold allows me
to re-SIZE a window from anywhere within the it (along the X , Y or Combined
axis depending on initial mouse movement direction).

I believe KDE and most Gnome window managers support these HotKey / Mouse
Action combos as their default.

Once you settle on a size and position you like for an application's window,
you should be able to "snap shot" or save the settings via the window menu.
Your values from the snap shots my very well be stored in /tmp, but I believe
the default and standard is to save them in the .[windowmanager] directories
of the users' home directory.

 HTH!
peace
aaron