[ale] BellSouth DSL setup

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Sep 15 20:22:07 EDT 2005

Jim Philips wrote:
> Since Speedfactory dumped newsgroups and I dumped them, I'm now on
> BellSouth. How do you get them working on Linux? I tried the setup on
> rp-pppoe and it doesn't get me connected. Do they run DHCP? If anybody
> here has an idea, help is greatly appreciated.

I just set up my mother-in-law on bellsouth (because there were no other
options).  It's fiber so YMMV, since they installed a new jack in her
house that has ethernet at it.  Anyway, the way it's setup on her system
is pppoe.  They let us chose an id, they gave us the password.

One thing that stumped me was that the router/firewall I was using
defaulted to 192.16.0.0 network and I couldn't get out.  I then figured
out that bellsouth is connecting you to a 192.16.0.0 network as well, so
I had to change the default net on my device.  That's pretty much it.

> By the way, Speakeasy told me they could not sign me up for DSL because
> of something BellSouth is doing. I was disappointed. I really wanted to
> go with them.

I was told something similar by speedfactory for my mother-in-law's
situation.  Damn monopoly.

--
Until later, Geoffrey