[ale] Can I tell my Linksys router to always serve the same IPaddress?

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Wed Sep 14 10:42:16 EDT 2005

By using a Pentium 2 box as your router, Georgia Power is "raping" your wallet instead of Linksys.  :)  Hehe.

Since Sveasoft violated the GPL, if you search for TheIndividual you will find the Sveasoft firmware released free, per the GPL.

Thanks,
Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of James Sumners
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:33 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] Can I tell my Linksys router to always serve the same IPaddress?

This is one of the limitations I don't like with the Linksys products (I am not a Linksys fan at all). Assigning specific IPs based on MAC should be part of the default firmware but it isn't. You can load the Sveasoft stuff if you don't mind loading third party firmware; it should give you the ability to do what you want.

This kind of thing is why I use a cheap old Pentium2 machine for a router. I decide what the limitations are not some company out to rape my wallet.

On 8/24/05, Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would seem as though to me that assigning a really long expiration
> may take care of the problem.
>
>  WMM
>

> On 8/24/05, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> > I'd really like to have each machine in my network have a
> > predictible IP address, but I also really like the idea that DHCP
> > does more than give an IP address (such as furnish DNS info also) so
> > I don't want to just set up static IPs for each machine. I'll never
> > have more systems than there are available IP addresses, so I really
> > don't need for the router to expire the addresses.  So can I tell it
> > to not expire or in some other way tell it to keep the same IP for a specific MAC address forever?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim.

> http://warrenmyers.com
> "God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is
> going on with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto) CH:D 59 _______________________________________________
Ale mailing list
Ale at ale.org