[ale] Katrina - Operation Stage Right, Atlanta - Update

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Mon Sep 12 08:17:59 EDT 2005

Good-willed citizens of North Georgia
Our operation to restore telephone service along the Gulf coast is well
under way.  Several volunteers worked tirelessly over the weekend to
ready (flash) the telephone adapters.  I'll try to do a better job
quantifying the work accomplished as we move forward.

Thanks to all those who have participated.  Tbese volunteers are really
great folks to work with and I believe we all enjoyed our time working
at Verso this weekend.

We started the weekend working as part of the VoIP leg of Part-15.org
relief effort.  Now, we're offering service directly to the various
relief organizations.  We have deployed equipment that is working in the
field as we speak.  Much more needed communications equipment will be
leaving daily.  Even computer terminals will be unearthed from Atlanta
computer graveyards for issue to those in need.  So far, I know of about
1000 square feet worth of palletized computer equipment.

WE STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS!!!  Bill Learning projects that this operation
will continue for at least 60 days.  For the time-being, there is enough
work for people to work round the clock.  So, please, let me know if you
can help, even for an hour.  Send your contact info to katrina at itaki.net
or just call me.  Laptops are extremely useful right now.  Supposedly,
it needs to have Windows 2000 or XP (I'll try to test on other OS's
today) (.  However, we want to better our documentation and visibility.
If anyone is interested in setting up a simple database to track
organizations contributing to the effort and sites aided by our
services, a wiki/blog, a webcam, or (possibly) a 1/2 mile wireless link
(LOS), we could use that, too.  These miscellaneous tasks could mostly
be done remotely.

Current Schedule (adjustable if we have sufficient volunteers):
1400 - 2000 hrs (M-Th)

Kris Sheets has lent us his satellite dish and TV.  There will be
internet service by today, I'm told.  Threre are refrigerators and snack
machines.  We're even getting a coke machine right in our suite.

There are designated smoking areas (outside).  Please park in valid
parking spaces.  Bring positive identification.

As we were are assisting part-15.org, here's some more info on that
http://www.part-15.org/emergencyrelief/katrina.html
general mailing list archive -
http://archives.part-15.org/listarchive.asp?maillist=Emergency-Relief
http://katrinacleanup.blogspot.com/

Information about our local effort is found here:

http://itaki.net/aaug/
http://itaki.net/aaug/verso_directions.pdf
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=vTly4.p_0TqUK2sisD_2hMeaJtFtWgGFPFXGUxw-&csz=30339&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Verso Technologies