[ale] Password creation and documentation

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 16:04:12 EDT 2005

How might someone go about creating, documenting, and
revisioning passwords for various servers, consoles,
etc...?

I have approximately, 30-40 various devices/systems that I
need to create passwords for and document, then of course
change a subset of these every X interval, and would like
to make sure I don't reuse the same password for at least 5
of those revisions. Ultimately, this will be used for an
operations desk, in which a shift operator will need access
to a password "database".

I had thought about just using a random password generator
and documenting everything in delimited file stored in an
encrypted filesystem, but my concern there is manual
policing of password reuse.

Suggestions on enterprise products, open source, or go ole'
home grown are more than welcome. I'm not afriad to pay for
something to do this.

Thanks for the help.