[ale] cheap network attached storage?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Sep 9 11:09:38 EDT 2005

I'm looking to pick up a network attached storage device, something along the
order of these (home size, not enterprise ones with lots of zeroes in the
price):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=207

I want it for running backups from a couple Linux machines over a
network...however, none of these devices says anything about how it works,
just that they "appear as a drive on each computer on the network"

Fine if you're running Windows, but what about Linux boxes? Does anyone know
of a solution like this that will let me run backups onto a drive over the
network when I'm running Linux? I'd prefer not to set up Samba just to talk
Windows-speak to one of these devices.

-Jay