[ale] ThinkPad sound working

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Sep 7 14:54:05 EDT 2005

All,

I got Xine working (sort of) at about 4am; Ogle wouldn't play my Dilbert
or Trek IV disks!

However, Xine cannot run fast enough for normal video or sound.

The xine_check made some suggestions for performance improvement, such as
adding Kernel MTRR support, X YV12 Overlay support, customizing X for
my hardware (IBM Thinkpad R31), etc.  The R31 seems to have fast display
hardware and has a 1.2 GHz Celeron.

Will these improvements likely get sufficient speed for normal play?

Recommendations?

Do I need to switch from a 2.4 to a 2.6 kernel (which I don't want to
bother with)?

Can someone advise on how I can customize X for the R31 hardware?

Thanks very much,
Bob Toxen,
Server geek who is week on multimedia stuff