[ale] Sharing non-network-capable printer

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 6 18:39:05 EDT 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:16:06 -0400
"James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:23 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > Is it possible to share a printer that is not a network printer?  I
> > have a Linux box in one room with a physically attached (via USB)
> > Epson Stylux C84 and an Apple Mac Mini in another room that I want
> > to be able to use this printer.
> >
> > Is it possible to make this printer available to the Mac?  The Mac
> > access the net wirelessly via a Netgear wireless router to which my
> > other machines are physically connected via Ethernet cables.
> >
> Absolutely. In your CUPS setup just specify that that printer is
> available for sharing and make sure the firewall permits access. The
> Mac should "see" it with no problem. You will still need Mac drivers
> for the printer.

 Can this be done in the CUPS web interface or must a change be made
in the cups.conf file?

--
Cheers,
Trey

If you push the "extra ice" button on the soft drink vending machine,
you won't get any ice.  If you push the "no ice" button, you'll get
ice, but no cup.

Linux salamander 2.6.11.4-21.9-default i686 GNU/Linux
  6:37pm  up 1 day 21:32,  4 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.44, 0.44